Friday, May 23, 2014

The Past Tense

I've always been in the impression that I was a really good artist. I trained everyday, practiced very hard to reach new plateaus and was very disciplined. My biggest competitor was myself and I was a worthy opponent.

I was sharp, I was quick, and I had great judgment. I was always around older more experienced artist and giving them a run for there money.

So to my surprise one day a student of mine asked a question in my animation class and I gave him an answer that I was pretty satisfied with but he wasn't.

He contested my answer and what was disturbing was not the fact that he challenged me. In fact I love challenges! What really got to me was the thought I had immediately after he challenged my answer. I thought to myself  "Tree years ago I would have really showed you what its all about!".

What?! Tree years ago!

Why was I having this feeling?

It's easy to live in the past. Notice I'm excessively using the word "was" in this post?

I knew deep down inside that I was out of practice. The truth came out and I just needed to be challenged to remind myself that I was out of practice.

Don't wait for others to challenge yourself because if you do you might wait for a long time and once they bring you back in the "now" you might not like what you see.

Instead, challenge yourself now. Remember what made you great during your best days and apply it in your life today. So that next time you are challenged you'll be ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment